"No one can be lonely who has a book for company." ~ Nelle Reagan

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Theme Thursdays 5/26/11 from Jane Eyre

Theme Thursdays

This is a fun weekly event hosted Kavyen at Reading Between Pages. “Theme Thursdays” will be open from one Thursday to the next and anyone can post it. The rules are simple:

A theme will be posted each week (on Thursdays)
  • Select a conversation/snippet/sentence from the current book you are reading
  • Post it and don’t forget to mention the author and the title of the book
  • Since we may take a few days to finish a book, this event is open for one whole week
 This will give us a wonderful opportunity to explore and understand different writing styles and descriptive approaches adopted by authors.

This week’s theme is – Conversation

         "Will you go in and bid Missis good-bye?"
     "No, Bessie: she came to my crib last night when you were gone down to supper, and said I need not disturb her in the morning, or my cousins either; and she told me to remember that she had always been my best friend, and to speak of her and be grateful to her accordingly."
     "What did you  say, miss?"
     "Nothing:  I covered my face with the bedclothes, and turned from her to the wall."
     "That was wrong, Miss Jane."
     "It was quite right, Bessie:  your Missis has not been my friend; she has been my foe."
     "Oh, Miss Jane!  don't say so!"
    "Good-bye to Gateshead!" cried I, as we passed through the hall and went out at the front door.
~ Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte p. 41
Young Jane is an orphan who has been living under the roof of her aunt, the "Missis" in the quote above.  I don't say living with her aunt because Jane's aunt makes it very clear that Jane's presence is "put upon her".  She has no liking for the child, nor do her children.  When the opportunity comes for Jane to leave the residence to go away to school, Jane is very pleased, to say the least.  This segment from the book is a conversation between Jane and Bessie, one of the children's nannies.  Bessie is the closest thing Jane has to a friend and confidante, but this is not realised until near the time of Jane's departure, when Bessie reveals her fondness to the child.
I haven't gotten far into Jane Eyre yet, but I must say, 'what took me so long to read this amazing book?'!!  I am into the sixth chapter and am totally enthralled with Charlotte Bronte's story.  I've read that this is autobiographical, but of that I am not sure.  Perhaps an enlightened reader can tell me for sure.  Jane Eyre is our book club book of the month for June and is sure to make for an interesting discussion!

Please leave a comment here with a link to your post, so I too may catch a glimpse into what you are reading and, perhaps, find more books to add to an evergrowing wishlist!  :)





 

10 comments:

  1. Great choice!

    http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2011/05/theme-thursdays-conversation.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I just love Jane Eyre. Good choice.

    Here's mine:
    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2011/05/theme-thursday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it has been eons since I read this book. Time for a reread?

    Thanks for sharing this poignant snippet.

    Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. This conversation clearly shows the dislike between Missis and Jane. Bessie surely sounds like a blessing to Jane... Great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick this week!

    Here's mine: http://simpleloveofreading.blogspot.com/2011/05/theme-thursday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you how long this book has been on my TBR pile - and I really want to see the movie as well. Great conversation... I might now have to actually open my copy!
    Here's mine:
    http://thebookgatherer.blogspot.com/2011/05/theme-thursday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting Piece. I will be reading Jane Eyre soon, before the movie comes out in Ireland!

    Here's mine http://lily-bookhaven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your comments everyone! Unfortunately I am having troubles leaving comments on some blogs, including Carabosse's and Simple Love of Reading. I have come by and attempted, but unless the blog has Name/URL to "sign in" with, I am unable to comment. Please know that I am not ignoring you and appreciate each and every one of you! Apparently Blogger has recognized this problem and is looking into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, Jane Eyre, one of my favourite books of all time. I am due for a re-read I think!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great segment! I adore this book, it's one of my all time favorites, so glad to hear you're liking it too :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all my visitors and your comments so please introduce yourself, ask or make suggestions. I'd love to hear from you. This blog is a no-award zone. I appreciate the acknowledgment but your kind words are enough.

No spam please!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...